Thursday 26 September 2013

Ready in the morning

Porridge with baked fruits
It took me a while to come round to the idea of overnights oats. I'd experimented with Bircher Museli at university, but grating apples before bed wasn't a high student priority. I'll leave you draw your own conclusions about pre-bed activities but let me say toasted sandwiches were high on the agenda.
So I stuck to hot strudel porridge in the morning until I was called away by other breakfast foods. The years passed in a whirl of rice cakes, kiwi fruit cottage cheese, and fried egg muffins.
But then I found my way back to porridge again. Now made with various plant milks and microwaved for speed. I'd have said that apart from varying the dried fruits I added I was set.
Still never say never, a friend gave me some chia seeds to try. An Internet search later I was giving overnight oats a try.
I'm taken with the creamy taste, but what I really like is that they're waiting for me in morning. It's so easy - put oats in a bowl, add fruit/nuts/spices, pour milk over the top, and stick in the fridge. Preparation in the evening has made me more adventurous as to what I add (like the baked autumn fruits in the photograph) and gives me something to get out of bed for.

No comments:

Contributors