Tuesday 6 August 2013

What's in my lunch box this week? In a hurry

Food and book

I had a rather extended weekend in Somerset clearing out sheds and cupboards. I arrived home on late on Sunday afternoon via a burlesque class with a carful of 'things'. As I unpacked I happily patted myself on the back for having thought in advance about dinner. I was delighted with my menu planning abilities as I scrubbed up some new potatoes, and popped some vegan sausages in the oven. My self satisfaction lasted right until the moment I cooked the peas. That's when the penny dropped and I realised that things were looking a little short in the Monday lunch department.

Clearly leftover sausage and mash (and let's be frank on this leftovers were unlikely – I was rather nibblesome) wasn't going to cut it. So I did a quick fridge and freezer raid. Rescued a rather shrivelled green pepper. Thanked the gods of kitchens that I had frozen some chickpeas and pitta breads. Uncovered a bag of allotment picked rocket. As the oven was already on lunch was created.

Clockwise from top left:

  • Mix of dates, twiglets, dark chocolate and almonds
  • Dead to the world - Charlaine Harris
  • Pittas filled with rocket, roasted chickpeas, and roasted green pepper.

Moral of this story? Don't get smug. Always plan ahead.


No comments:

Contributors