Tuesday 14 January 2014

What's in my lunch box? Visitors = variety

It’s not that I’m a lazy cook when I’m just cooking for me. However it would be fair to say that I tend to make a dish and stretch it over several meals. Hence weekend guests encourage more variety. This weekend I made creamy cauliflower soup, grilled ‘cheese’ and ‘pepperoni’ sandwiches, tofu and kale delight, and a sort of Chinese inspired cabbage served with spring rolls. Most of these left no remains. The ones that did are finding their way into my lunch box this week.

In the mix:

  • Cabbage, shredded and fried in sesame oil with leeks, garlic, peanut butter, and soy sauce.
  • Brown basimati rice
  • Hoisin 'duck' rolls – picked this V-bites item up in my local health food shop
  • Spring rolls from the Coop – a cut price bargain I couldn't resist
  • Samosas from Iceland – still using up excess Christmas provisions.

To read

I’m still working my way through A Greedy Man in a Hungry world by Jay Rayner. Happily a bus malfunction( the wing mirror fell off!) allowed me the time to actually finish this. It’s a book where every page gives you something else to think about. I liked that he was Clare Rayner’s son and seemed to have inherited her common sense. I enjoyed the anecdotes about his childhood, and recognition of when he was basing an opinion on something other than facts.


I did indeed find that he made me think differently about things like farmers’ markets. I can see that the situation with food supply is a tricky one, and that there is no easy answer. One cannot simply say supermarkets are evil and be done with it. Indeed Rayner points out that supermarkets are both evil and not evil at all. I think this book was saying that there is a need to embrace both the big and the small, accept that there is no one solution for anything, and really focus on sustainability. This need to embrace multiple viewpoints is what makes the content of this book so difficult to take.

Oh, and I should add that I thought his comment that vegans had difficulty getting enough protein a tad on the ill-informed side. A pity when research had clearly been carried out in a thoughtful manner in other areas. He might have been better off simply saying theat veganism wasn’t for him. Which in the context of the book surely Rayner would have agreed would be perfectly fine.

 

No comments:

Contributors